nanog mailing list archives

Re: Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:15:23 -0700

On Oct 21, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Leen Besselink wrote:

On 10/21/2010 09:25 PM, George Bonser wrote:
However, consider the fact that there will be v6 only hosts popping up
after IANA/RIR/ISP exhaustion. There will be new entrants in the
public
internet space that cannot obtain v4 addresses and will be reachable
via v6
only ...
Yep, you can't do NAT64 if you don't have "4".  But that said, just
because ARIN is exhausted doesn't mean PA space is exhausted so there
will be addresses available though it will be tight.

That is exactly what the last 5 /8's are for as I understand it.

Not necessarily. It's up to each RIR's policy. ARIN has no such policy.

The other regions generally do not have such a policy.

The last 5 /8's will be allocated to each RIR immediately and I
think by now every RIR has a policy for that last /8 which pretty
much says: only for transitional purposes

Nope... No registry has such a policy that I know of.

Owen