nanog mailing list archives

Re: Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

From: Franck Martin <franck () genius com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:15:21 +1200 (FJT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Jaeggli" <joelja () bogus com>
To: "Franck Martin" <franck () genius com>
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Sent: Tuesday, 19 October, 2010 8:58:57 AM
Subject: Re: Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA
On 10/18/10 1:38 PM, Franck Martin wrote:
I'm an IPv6 pioneer, because I did it the year, you could really go
IPv6 only. That was when ICANN put IPv6 glue in the root zone, which
fell a few days before the IETF did an IPv4 blackout.

I thank Russ to come up with this IPv4 blackout, because it
certainly
encouraged ICANN to get its act and Google to do ipv6.google.com.

Insofar as I am aware the first "ipv6 hour" was the brainchild of
Randy
Bush and Mark Tinka at apricot 2008. Not experienced first at the
IETF.

https://wiki.tools.isoc.org/IETF71_IPv4_Outage March 2008

Apricot 2008 was in Feb 2008

there was also an IPv6 hour at NANOG 42 in February 2008

But Russ spoke about it in 2007, knowing there will be resistance... And they must have been all talking to each
others, so I'm not sure who to credit for the idea, but I can credit Russ for his IETF leadership in making it happen
there.

ICANN had just put the glue in February.

Google decided to make it in time, seeing the opportunity and convergence of will.

Anyhow the year it all happened was 2008, there was a convergence of ideas.

So I would say since 2008 we have made great progress on IPv6 deployment, but we started very late...