nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 fc00::/7 ??? Unique local addresses

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:23:14 -0700

On Oct 23, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo wrote:

Amen!

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:

There are some folks (like me) who advocate a DHCPv6 that can convey
a default gateway AND the ability to turn off RA's entirely.  That
is make it work like IPv4.

I'd also love to turn off stateless autoconfig altogether and not be coerced
to assign /64s to single LANs, which I am becoming convinced that it was a
poor decision on the IETFs part.

Nah... The /64 thing is fine. If they hadn't done that, we likely would have only
a 64-bit address space total.  64-bit lans with 64-bit routing identifiers are
fine.

What would be nice would be if we changed the semantics a bit and made
it 16+48+64 where the first 16 of the dest+source could be re-assembled
into the destination ASN for the packet and the remaining 48 identified
a particular subnet globally with 64 for the host. Unfortunately, that ship
has probably sailed.

Stateless autoconfig works very well, It would be just perfect if the
network boundary was configurable (like say /64 if you really want it,  or
/80 -  /96 for the rest of us)

There really is no need for anything smaller than /64.  What, exactly, do you
think you gain from a smaller netmask?

Owen