nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

From: William Warren <hescominsoon () emmanuelcomputerconsulting com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:24:40 -0500

On 11/29/2010 6:45 PM, Aaron Wendel wrote:

I think what this really boils down to is an effect of shoddy marketing.
Access providers want to offer "unlimited" everything and don't want to have
to go back to their customer base and say, "oh, sorry, we didn't really mean
unlimited.  We didn't think you'd really use that much." So they are looking
for ways of making up for the increased costs without having to look like
idiots to their customers.
Unlimited access is already NOT unlimited access. A transfer cap isn't unlimited..while Comcast has a generous cap..it's still a transfer cap.

My problem is, what happens if this becomes the new model?  What if Comcast
comes to me and says, "Oh, we've noticed X Mbits originating from your
network coming through ours.  Here's the bill of $X per bit."  What happens
when I counter with, "Ok, and I see X bits originating from your network.
Here's my bill, too."  Do they agree to an exchange of money for an exchange
of bits or do I get an "F you.  Pay your bill to us and we're not giving you
crap."