nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:15:49 -0500

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:49:48PM -0600, Aaron Wendel wrote:
A customer pays them for access to the Internet.  If that access demands
more infrastructure then Comcast needs to build out the infrastructure and
pass on the costs to the customers demanding it.

s/Comcast/Level3/

I think it sets a very bad precedent that Level3 agreed to their terms.  How
long would it have lasted with Comcast subscribers asking why they couldn't
download their movies?

Considering L3 was recently skating the border of the pink sheets,
it should be no wonder that it is a very different response than
the one given to Cogent, for example.  Then again, who blinked first
there?  It is amusing that the once-disruptive L3 is seeking to
defend its position in the so-called "tier 1 " carte^Wcabal by running
to the regulators.  I wonder how its fellow members of the club will
like the idea of feds poking into their business when both sides of
the equation are examined...

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE