nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast'sActions

From: William Warren <hescominsoon () emmanuelcomputerconsulting com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:47:53 -0500

replies inline

On 11/30/2010 12:09 AM, Andrew Koch wrote:
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 22:17, William Herrin<bill () herrin us>  wrote:

So you're saying: treat it like electrical service. I have a 200 amp
electrical service at my house. But I don't pay for a 200 amp service,
I pay for kilowatt-hours of usage.

There are several problems transplanting that billing model to
Internet service. The first you've already noticed - marketing
activity has rendered it unsalable. But that's not the only problem.
Not quite.  Look at mobile data plans.  A very few are unlimited, most
are per byte.

I don't know of a single data plan that's unlimited. they all have either 5 gig or lower transfer caps. That's not unlimited no matter what the lawyers or marketers day.

Andy Koch