nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

From: Jeff Wheeler <jsw () inconcepts biz>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:08:49 -0500

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:
I will be the first to advocate the government use minimal to no
regulation where there is active competition and consumer choice,
and thus folks can "vote with their dollars".

Broadband in the US is not in that boat.  Too many consumers have
a "choice" of a single provider.  The vast majority of the rest
have the "choice" of two providers.  We make these monopoly or

I believe regulation of peering among the largest networks in the U.S.
is a question of when and how, not if.  The more these incidents make
it into the news and attract the attention of public policy-makers,
the closer that "when" may become.  Comcast is either very clever, or
very stupid, for timing this in such a way that it has been spun into
an issue of who is streaming what into their customers' living rooms.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw () inconcepts biz>