nanog mailing list archives

Re: Quick IP6/BGP question

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 14:55:10 -0400

On 2010-05-25, at 17:40, Martin List-Petersen wrote:

On 24/05/10 19:21, Thomas Magill wrote:
From the provider side, are most of you who are implementing IP6
peerings running BGP over IP4 and just using IP6 address families to
exchange routes or doing IP6 peering?

Most Internet Exchanges do not allow to mix on the same transport. So
IPv4 peering over IPv4 transport, IPv6 peering over IPv6 transport, you
can use the same interface though.

Most Internet Exchanges don't care what BGP protocol options consenting neighbours decide to use, in my experience.
(If they cared, what could they do?)

Don't care?  I think you mean "don't know".

The exchange that starts snooping my BGP session to see what I am trading with my peer is the exchange that will lose
my business.

--
TTFN,
patrick