nanog mailing list archives

Re: [members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group (fwd)

From: Leen Besselink <leen () consolejunkie net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:56:14 +0100

On 03/02/2010 11:46 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:
Care to explain what that could possibly be? (I simply don't see an
upside to making it easy to censor the internet by national identity).
Maintenance of "GeoIP"-databases becomes easier and less error-prone ?

Possible less out of date because of it.

We've seen complaints about those many times on this list.
There are much better ways to handle geolocation than reconfiguring
the structure of the IP address space.  See also:
<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/>
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery>
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery>
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geopriv-held-identity-extensions>

Regardless of the technical merits of those specific protocols, which
have been debated here and elsewhere, geolocation is an
application-layer concept, and shouldn't be forced down onto the
network layer.

--Richard

I never said we should do so. :-)

I just mentioned it's possible.