nanog mailing list archives

Re: FreeAxez raised flooring?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 22:21:30 -0500

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com> wrote:
Same way you cool the top of a rack in a cold/hot aisle system. Blow
cold air up the front of the rack. We measure temperature at select
points in the rack. Keep the hottest spot below set point, and
everything is fine. The physics aren't that much different.

We are cooling 20kw per rack with this setup. 4 hp c-class chassis per
rack. Works great.

Hi Tim,

I poked through AFCO's drawings at
http://www.afcosystems.com/pdf/AFCO_Drawings.pdf, How much of a size
hit is typical? Do you take the depth out to 52" to create enough
space in front of the equipment for air to flow and take the 6-inch
hit to the side for the cabling sidecar?

What's the impact with respect to sharing the facility with non-AFCO
cabinets? I would imagine that with a bunch of these things
dynamically changing their air flow it would be hard to maintain a
static pressure under the floor.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004