nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 ANYCAST setup

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:05:27 +0000

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:43:25PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
I have talked to multiple security officers (who are generally not
really knowledgeable on networks) who had 53/tcp blocked and none
have yet agreed to change it.
patience.  when things really start to break, and the finger of fate
points at them, clue may arise.
36 days until all root servers have DNSSEC data, at which point large
replies become normal.

are end user tools, i.e. a web click a button, available so they can
test if they are behind a clueless security id10t?

        no - in part because using a browser to debug DNS involves
        a third app (and likly a third/forth) platform.

        the nifty OARC testpoint is nearly worthless for real operations,
        since its not located at/near a DNS authoritative source.  the
        K testpoint is good, I should prolly put back the one off B.

is there good simple end user docco they are somewhat likely to find
when things break for them?

        not yet.  in part because out of the few simple parts, many, many
        combinations of failure can occur.

        ) MTU strictures:
                v6/v4 tunneling
                v6/v4 MTU
                clamping

        ) Fragmenation
                UDP
        ) Port blocking
        ) Resolver Behaviour
                EDNS awareness

i.e. what can we do to maximize the odds that the victim will quickly
find the perp, as opposed to calling our our tech support lines?

        thats a tough call.  as tech support staff, we are almost always
        an outside observer on the path btwn the victim and the perp.
        troubleshooting is going to be problematic.

randy