nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 04:55:06 -0400

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 05:28:40 -0000, Michael Sokolov said:
Kevin Oberman <oberman () es net> wrote:

And, if you are using a 1988 TCP stack on a 4.3 system, you are not
likely to ever efficiently utilize a higher speed link

What higher speed link?  I'm very happy with 384 kbps symmetric, using
SDSL as ARPANET replacement.  I have designed and built my own SDSL to
EIA-530 CSU/DSU so I can use a Cisco 2500 router instead of that nasty
new-fangled Netopia which has (oh horror!) RJ45 Ethernet instead of
proper AUI.  Oh, did I forget to mention that my Ethernet is coaxial?
To me all that UTP stuff isn't true Ethernet.

I call Poe's Law on this one.  Mostly because I can't tell which side this
one is on. ;)