nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

From: Stefan <netfortius () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 01:47:43 -0500

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM, joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com> wrote:
On 3/26/2010 8:15 AM, Rick Ernst wrote:

I've noticed over the last 3 years or so that TDM, specifically T-1,
access
and transport has been in a steady decline.  Customers are moving to FTTH
and cable, or going WiMAX and Metro-Ethernet.  Ethernet seems to have
taken
an even bigger bite out of DS-3.  The bigger pipes seem to favor ethernet.
recent upgrade from OC-3 to GigE transport actually saved us a large chunk
of money.

I'm wondering if others are seeing the same behavior, if it's
market-dependant, or if I'm just imagining things.  I'm working on
building
new infrastructure and my current thoughts are to minimize my TDM
footprint.  It would be useful to get a better feel if this is an overall
trend or something local.

Why I think it comes down to is do you want to use frame-relay, atm, sdh and
ethernet when you can just use ethernet?

lan-phy ethernet has economies of scale that result in lower cost along
virtually every dimension relative to the alternatives.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Diversity, in case of locations meant to be used as each other's backup/failover

***Stefan Mititelu
http://twitter.com/netfortius
http://www.linkedin.com/in/netfortius