nanog mailing list archives

Re: Auto MDI/MDI-X + conference rooms + bored == loop

From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:36:08 -0400

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 03:33:56PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
Switches that support STP?

Yes, "soho" or "desktop" switches I mean.  Apparently Netgear GS105's
do not do STP at all, at least they don't claim to.

There are switches that have STP protection such that they are
portfast until they see an inbound BPDU and then revert to
spanning tree on that port (it blocks, listens, learns, then
forwards if appropriate).

Do the ports so configured also send BPDUs such that a loop on a
"desktop" switch uplinked to that port will cause the port to see its
own BPDUs and revert to STP Blocking?  Even if that is the case, I
think the detection of BPDU and subsequent transition to Blocking will
happen too slowly.  By then the damage is already done upstream in the
collapsed L2/L3 core.