nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advice regarding Cisco/Juniper/HP

From: Tom <bifrost () minions com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:37:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, James Smith wrote:
So my questions to the NANOG community are: Would you recommend HP over
Cisco or Juniper?

Pretty much never, unless you're talking about a rebadged Brocade product.
Every time I've seen HP networking gear in production, its usually before it gets replaced with something else. The last install I dealt with was having so many problems it had a constant %10 packetloss on a simple flat network.

How is HP's functionality and performance compared to Cisco or Juniper?

Typically poor, but this varies widely with the series of HP gear.
The software updates available also vary widely in quality, and I have rarely gotten a good answer from HP support on anything.

Does anyone have any HP networking experiences they can share, good or bad?

To end on a positive note, HP does have a good warranty, is typically fairly low cost and provides free software updates.

-Tom