nanog mailing list archives

Re: On the control of the Internet.

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:21:51 -0500

As so often happens, I forgot to note what my client picked up for a
return address.  This is the first of several items that I meant to send
to the list.

My apologies to Mr Greco.

On 6/13/2010 14:17, Larry Sheldon wrote:
On 6/13/2010 14:07, Joe Greco wrote:
On 6/13/2010 08:47, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 00:21:49 CDT, Larry Sheldon said:

For example--what happens when name-service information for a part that
is not shutdown comes from a part that is?

It's always been a BCP good idea to have your DNS have secondaries in another
non-fate-sharing AS, even though everybody from Microsoft on down seems
to feel the need to rediscover this.

How about if the source database (not the relevant zone file, but the
collection of data on some computer from which a zone file is created.

How about [...] is /what/?  Unavailable?  The zone files are still in
place.  Not really a problem in the overall scheme of things; I realize
that some people have engineered things so that this will be a problem,
but that's a choice.

Yeah, it is a choice to keep the source data in a database (think DHCP
system or something) WHERE IT MAKES OPERATIONAL SENSE TO SO.

What happens if that source data can no longer be transferred to the
master zone file located on the DNS server placed somewhere else WHERE
IT MAKES OPERATIONAL SENSE TO SO, and the network is severed between them?

How about the case where the master zone file has be amputated and the
secondaries can no longer get updates?

I'm not sure what "amputated" means here, but considering the case where
the master itself is amputated, and the secondaries can no longer update,
generally speaking, you log into the secondaries and twiddle their configs
to make them masters.  This requires some planning, preparedness, and
procedures, but is in no way a crisis, unless you've failed to do the
planning, have failed to prepare, and haven't followed your procedures.

Amputated = severed = cut off = disconnected = no longer able to
communicate with not to be communicated with.

Did not see that that was going to be so hard to understand.

Should have known better, I guess.

How that works in the case where a government mandates something specific
happens within your zone file is of course debatable, but possibly more
back towards the original topic.

Uhhhhh....actually that WAS the original topic.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca