nanog mailing list archives

Re: On the control of the Internet.

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:22:12 -0500

On 6/13/2010 14:59, Joe Greco wrote:

What happens?  The master zone simply doesn't get updated until someone
FedEx's a floppy.  You know, some of us made these sorts of contingency
plans long ago, back in days when the Internet actually wasn't all that
reliable, and it wasn't completely unthinkable to be off the air for at
least 24 hours.

Interesting plan.

I've got a Gateway computer down stairs that can write a 3.5 inch floppy
and a Micron tower (running Windows 2000 the last time it was powered
up) that can write 5 inch floppies.

When I left active administration in 2003, out of 30 or so machines
running BIND I can't recall one that has a floppy drive of any sort.

It's not that rough, these days, to install some monitoring to make sure
that your zones are up to date on the secondaries and that they resolve
names correctly; some operators used to even get really super-freakazoid
and do zone transfers back to allow verification.  Here, we draw the line
at checking the SOA's for consistency and checking one other beacon record
for resolvability.  That's clearly not a solution aimed at warning about
non-transferable zones; it raises some interesting questions.  Think maybe
I'll go asking on dnsops what, if anything, people do to monitor.

"monitor" implies connectivity.  The OP was about the possibility that
the government would deny you connectivity.  Please try to stay n topic.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca