nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:24:07 -0700

Matthew Walster wrote:
On 29 July 2010 18:08, Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda () icann org> wrote:
There's a good chance that in the long run multi-subnet home networks will become the norm.

With all due respect, I can't see it. Why would a home user need
multiple subnets? Are they really likely to have CPE capable of
routing between subnets at 21st Century LAN speeds? Isn't that
needlessly complicating the home environment?

I strongly urge all my competitors to approach IPv6 with this philosophy.

In other words, in the long run it will push up your labor costs (for admins, for customer support), and push down your customer satisfaction because you were needlessly worried about the "scarcity" of a plentiful resource and didn't think ahead to new technologies, new ideas, and hampered your network with an allocation scheme that didn't expand gracefully to acomodate new uses.

Look at it this way - most (ISPs, businesses, consumers, appliance vendors) are going to allocate according to the recommendations or be using an allocation according to the recommendations. Why are you even *considering* using a different allocation scheme? What do *you* gain? All I see are headaches from doing it differently. When you hire you will need to retrain admins who are accustomed to the recommended system. When you get new customers, you will have to retrain them to use your non-standard system. When they try to use appliances that are pre-configured to use the recommended system, their appliances won't work right or will need special configuration. Etc. If - IF the recommendations are not conservative enough (which is considered to be a very remote possibility), then we can change the recommendations when we put the next 1/8 of the IPv6 IPs into service. But consider the possible use case where we actually start to run out of IPs in this first 1/8 segment of the IPv6 space. It's not going to happen by IP usage from current services. It's going to happen by IP consumption from new, as yet unimagined, services. And if we have all these new services (devices, appliances) that require IP addresses then it means we WILL need to do subnetting at end user premises.

jc