nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: Tim Franklin <tim () pelican org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:40:13 +0100

Owen DeLong wrote:

If you want to build a business based on upsell and control by trying
to convince users that they should give you extra money to provision
a resource that costs you virtually nothing, then more power to you.

However, I think this will, in the end, be as popular as american
restaurants that charge for ice water.

Sorry, I need to dial back on the cynicism / sarcasm a bit, it doesn't
travel so well through the tubes - that's a rant about the attitudes I
encounter, not my views!

I *utterly* agree with you that trying to micro-manage the allocation
size on a per-customer basis for high-volume residential / SOHO
connections is a complete waste of resources.

I equally believe that a number of ISPs operating in that market are
going to try, not just one or two crazy outliers, based on the attitudes
I touched on in my rant (which, again, *aren't* mine).

Coming from an IPv4 business model that goes:

Extra for a static IP
Extra for more than one IP
Extra for a contract that doesn't forbid incoming connections
Extra for non-generic reverse DNS
Extra for not blocking IPSec
Extra for...

I fully expect some ISPs to extend that into whatever parts of IPv6 they
can measure and charge for.

Is probably going to be at a significant competitive disadvantage vs.
a model that says "You can have whatever address space you can
justify. We'll start you with 65,536 networks which we believe is way
more than enough for virtually any residential user. We don't charge
you anything for address space. We think charging people for integers
is illogical."

I really hope you're right.  I'd love to see the Internet opened back up
again, for everyone.

Regards,
Tim.