nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: Fred Baker <fred () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:34:13 +0200

I tend to think a /60 is a reasonable allocation for a residential user. In my home I have two subnets and will in time
likely add two more:
  - general network access
  - my office (required to be separate by Cisco Information Security policy)
  - (future) would likely want routable separate bandwidth for A/V at some point
  - (future) Smart Grid HAN will likely be its own subnet

If my wife went to work for a company with an infosec policy like Cisco's, that becomes a fifth subnet. Yes, 16 to
choose from seems reasonable.

/56 seems appropriate to a small company, /48 for a larger company, and I could see a market for a /52. A company that
needs more than a /48 is likely to also be using ULAs for some of its areas, which is an automatic extension, and could
always justify another /48 (or one per continent) if it really needed them.

Could I do all this within a /64? Of course, with some thought, and by getting the Smart Grid and office prefixes from
other sources (Cisco, my utility) and running them over a VPN (which I do anyway). The question is why I should have
to.

Why four bit boundaries? Because we're using hexadecimal, and each character identifies four bits. It makes tracking
numbers simple - no "remember to count by N" as in IPv4. It's not magic, but to my small mind - and especially for of
non-technical residential customers - it seems reasonable.

And yes, I think the logic behind a 48 bit MAC address is reasonable too.