nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew () matthew at>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:26:43 -0700

sthaug () nethelp no wrote:
It is not about how many devices, it is about how many subnets, because you
may want to keep them isolated, for many reasons.

It is not just about devices consuming lots of bandwidth, it is also about
many small sensors, actuators and so.

I have no problems with giving the customer several subnets. /56 is
just fine for that.
/56? How about /62? That certainly covers "several"... and if you're really worried they might have too many subnets for that to work, how about /60?
 I haven't seen any kind of realistic scenarios
which require /48 for residential users *and* will actually use lots
and lots of subnets - without requiring a similar amount of manual
configuration on the part of the customer.

So we end up with /56 for residential users.
Only because people think that the boundaries need to happen at easy-to-type points given the textual representation. /56 is still overkill for a house. And there's several billion houses in the world to hook up.

Matthew Kaufman