nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for comments

From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:38:23 +1200

Bill,

On 2010-07-22 19:49, William Herrin wrote:
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-ipv6-transition-guidelines
There is a third major challenge to dual-stack that isn't addressed in
the document: differing network security models that must deliver the
same result for the same collection of hosts regardless of whether
Ipv4 or v6 is selected. I can throw a COTS d-link box with
address-overloaded NAT on a connection and have reasonably effective
network security and anonymity in IPv4. Achieving comparable results
in the IPv6 portion of the dual stack on each of those hosts is
complicated at best.

Actually, it isn't particularly hard at all... Turn on privacy addressing
on each of the hosts (if it isn't on by default) and then put a linux
firewall in front of them with a relatively simple ip6tables configuration
for outbound only.

From the lack of dispute, can I infer agreement with the remainder of
my comments wrt mitigations for the "one of my addresses doesn't work"
problem and the impracticality of the document's section 4.3 and 4.4
for wide scale Ipv6 deployment?

As for those two scenarios (IPv6-only ISPs and IPv6-only clients, to simplify
them), the document doesn't place them as first preference solutions.
However, the fact is that various *extremely* large operators find themselves
more or less forced into these scenarios by IPv4 exhaustion. I think it's
more reasonable to describe solutions for them than to rule their
problem out of order.

   Brian