nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:21:06 -0500

On January 12, 2010 at 23:03 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu (Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu) wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:50:37 PST, Bill Stewart said:
A password recovery method I've found very frustrating is to use the
serial number or similar value that's on a label on the bottom of the
equipment.

Related pet peeve:  Inventory and asset control people that stick a sticker on
hardware and then expect to be able to scan the barcode at a later date. Works
fine if the barcode sticker actually ends up facing the front or the back of
the rack.  But occasionally, the sticker ends up stuck on an empty space on the
printed circuit board of a upgrade blade that's plugged into a chassis...

Sounds like RFID FTW!

Actually, I have no idea if it'd work, maybe someone else does. Seems
like it'd be nice to be able to just wand a rack and poof out comes a
list of everything in it.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs () TheWorld com           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada