nanog mailing list archives

Re: RFID in datacenter (was Re: Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment)

From: Stefan <netfortius () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:43:14 -0600

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM, George Imburgia
<nanog () armorfirewall com>wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Barry Shein wrote:

 The big advantage of RFIDs is that you don't need line of sight access
like you do with bar codes, they use RF, radio frequency.

Which is also a big disadvantage in a datacenter. Ever tried to use a radio
in one?

The RF noise generated by digital equipment seriously erodes signal
quality. Considering the relatively weak signal returned from RFID tags, I'd
be surprised if you'd get any kind of useful range.

Has anybody tried it out?

FYI: Looked into this in my previous job-project, and bookmarked this as a
positive record of such:
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/11/03/rfid-in-the-data-center/I
think it works.

***Stefan Mititelu