nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:58:29 -0500

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:13:28 -0500, Nick Hale <nhale () softlayer com> wrote:
I think the vendor you're thinking of was Cabletron (now Enterasys).  I
had to call them and give them the Serial Number for them to provide me
with the default password to the system after a hard reset (this was for
an ELS100-24TXG 'switch').

And their CPE gear had a 5 minute password reset window after power on. We hated the customers who'd figured that out.

While we're on the subject, a lot of leibert gear has a dip switch/jumper block to turn passwords off entirely. (of course, that requires physical access and a power cycle.)

--Ricky