nanog mailing list archives

Re: qwest outage no notice

From: JoeSox <joesox () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 07:25:28 -0800

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:06 AM,  <sthaug () nethelp no> wrote:
We just had a qwest outage of about 2 mins at 1:41am pst. When I called
to report it I was told it was a 200+ emergency software upgrade due to
a security concern, and that we will get a notice later after the fact.
Normally we get notices in advance, even for software upgrades due to
security or other important issues, so I am curious if other qwest
customers had the same experience and wether this is how it's going to
be from here on in? The affected platform was juniper and I'd love to
know the specfic case being addressed here.

We received 7 Juniper Security Advisories today. My guess is that this
is the reason for the Qwest outage you've seen.

My QWest account manager called three different people at my business
7hrs before the maintenance. Also mentioned the Juniper Security
Advisories.
--
Later, Joe