nanog mailing list archives

Re: Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

From: Dave CROCKER <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:51:25 -0800

On 2/22/2010 9:29 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
Am I missing something?  All the ISP has to do is to provision a pop3
/ imap / webmail mailbox for that user and keep it around.

As a permanent requirement for all accounts, including changes as the user moves around -- long-term churn is 100% within relatively few years-- and to expect all domain owners who originally host a mailbox to then do this forwarding admin and ops competently, this is going to be a serious problem.

The scheme is certain to be quite unreliable along multiple axes.

Worse, I had not thought of Sheldon's excellent point about negative reputation blowback on the domain owner.

Per the followup comments on this, the domain owner might be able to do some things in domain name usage and IP Address assignment to mitigate this, the initial and on-going costs of getting this right and the likelihood of eliminating all blowback are problematic.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking