nanog mailing list archives

RE: History of 4.2.2.2. What's the story?

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:08:40 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Hilliard [mailto:nick () foobar org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:56 PM
To: Tomas L. Byrnes
Cc: NANOG list
Subject: Re: History of 4.2.2.2. What's the story?

On 17/02/2010 20:51, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
[Tomas L. Byrnes] We were a small regional ISP with only one main
POP
at
the time.

off-net resolvers means that your continued customer satisfaction (and
therefore your continued reliable cash-flow) is completely dependent
on
maintaining a good working relationship between your company and the
company which operates the resolvers.  If - for whatever reason - they
decide to shut off services to your customers, your business will take
serious impact.

Nick

[Tomas L. Byrnes] We had, and maintained, a good relationship, and the
services were reciprocal. The resolvers were only tertiary anyway.

YMMV, it worked for us. Different times.