nanog mailing list archives

Re: History of 4.2.2.2. What's the story?

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:33:27 -0500

On Feb 16, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:

We do.  It's at our upstream provider, just in case we had an upstream
connectivity issue or some internal meltdown that prevented those in the
outside world to hit our (authoritative) DNS servers.  Of course, that's
most helpful for DNS records that resolve to IPs *outside* our network.

What you describe - authorities used by people off your network to resolve A records with IP addresses outside your
network - is not what Joe was describing.  What the recursive name server your end users queried to resolve names, the
IP address in their desktop's control panel, outside your network?

I can see a small ISP using its upstream's recursive name server.  But to the rest of the world, most small ISPs look
like a part of their upstream's network.

--
TTFN,
patrick

===
<snip>

For what it's worth, I have never heard of an ISP, big or small,
deciding to place resolvers used by their customers in someone else's
network. Perhaps I just need to get out more.

Joe