nanog mailing list archives

Re: History of 4.2.2.2. What's the story?

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:20:42 -0500

On Feb 14, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
In message <182E6E76-F12A-41D9-800A-E5E40F3C3B7D () direwolf com>, John Orthoefer
writes:
Genuity/GTEI/Planet/BBN owned 4/8.  Brett went looking for an IP that =
was simple to remember, I think 4.4.4.4 was in use by neteng already.  =
But it was picked to be easy to remember, I think jhawk had put a hold =
on the 4.2.2.0/24 block, we got/grabbed 3 address 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, and =
4.2.2.3 so people had 3 address to go to.    At the time people had =
issues with just using a single resolver.  We also had issues with both =
users and registers since clearly they aren't geographically diverse, =
trying to explain routing tricks to people KNOW all IPs come in and are =
routed as Class A/B/C blocks is hard.

I don't care what internal routing tricks are used, they are still
under the *one* external route and as such subject to single points
of failure and as such don't have enough independence.

It's an open recursive name server, it is free, has no SLA, and is not critical infrastructure.

Besides, it is quicker / better to use your local ISP's RNS.  If something goes wrong, you can fall back to OpenDNS or
L3, and, of course, yell at the _company_you_are_paying_ when their stuff doesn't work. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick