nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Internet Revealed - A film about IXPs v2.0: now available

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:53:25 +0000

On 10/02/2010 14:46, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
I guess we can agree to disagree then. I think it's highly biased
towards promoting IXPs,

Uh, it was produced and paid for by IXPs for the intention of promoting
IXPs.  Why do you have an issue with this?

and it gives the impression that private peering
isn't settlement free and that it can't be used to do what an IXP does.
It just doesn't say so explicitly, but implies that it is so by the flow
of how things are said and in what order. It sets private connects
against IXPs, and then describes all things an IXP can be used for, thus
giving the impression that the PNI can't do this.

Call me glib, but if you can get the association of PNI providers together
to create a movie about what PNIs are and how they work, I'd be ok if they
glossed over IXPs.

But one factual error for instance, a TCP session (a picture being
transfrred) doesn't take multiple paths, that's just wrong to say so.

ECMP?  Per packet load balancing, even?  Again, the point they were making
is that the path from A to B is not particularly important to the data
being transferred.

Look, the creators of the movie had 5 minutes to explain something so that
regular Janes and Joes would understand, rather than 1 hour to give a nerdy
in-depth explanation of the nuts and bolts of IXPs.  Personally, I think
they did a rather good job.

Nick
(day job: contract IXP operations)