nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Operational] Internet Police

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:27:03 -0600

On 12/10/2010 12:07 PM, Paul Graydon wrote:
Unless you can get every company to sign up to an agreement it will
never work.  Even then you'll still find unscrupulous companies that are
far more interested in revenue than reputation.  There are a number of
hosting companies I'm sure most network professionals are aware of that
are regular bases for C'n'C servers.

Why does it matter? If a customer isn't going to run a clean system, why would you want them on your network? Commodity customers are quick shutoffs, while businesses often have valid contacts to work with to resolve the issue without a full cutoff.

If they go to the competition, it's one less problem for me to deal with in the future (as repeat offenses are not uncommon). MOST of the customers I suspend service due to bots/spam/etc are happy with the service (once they realize the pretty locks on their web browser don't secure their communications from infections).

Jack