nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Operational] Internet Police

From: Michael Smith <michael () hmsjr com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:54:16 -0500

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM, JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com>

We *really* don't need Homeland Security and TSA deciding that
cyber-vandalism falls into the realm of terrorism and thus comes under their
purview to "protect us against".  Their security theater at the airport is
too much already, I can't begin to imagine how badly they could screw it up
if they had a mandate to implement similar "protective" processes on the
internet.

jc

Now, we're getting to the original question.  If the Federal Govt decides
that state secrets and ability to conduct commerce raise this to the level
of a "global guerrilla war", we can all laugh it off for its absurity, but
I'm curious what architectural and operational decisions will be if we are
*ordered* to consider what options are available...  ..or... would it simply
be a NSA/DoD appliance that we're all required to place in-line....?...