nanog mailing list archives

Re: The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:31:21 -0600

On 12/2/2010 3:23 PM, david raistrick wrote:
Have you ever actually been involved with really large scale multicast
implementations? I take it that's a no.

Nope. I prefer small scale. :)

The -only- way that would work internet wide, and it defeats the
purpose, is if your client side created a tunnel back to your multicast
source network. Which would mean you're carrying your multicast data
over anycast.

So we don't use multicast, fallback to unicast deployments on the Internet today for various events/streams?

If you, the multicast broadcaster, dont have extensive control of the
-entire- end to end IP network, it will be significantly broken
significant amounts of the time.

Clients can't fallback to unicast when multicast isn't functional? I'd expect multicast to save some bandwidth, not all of it.

...david (former member of a team of engineers who built and maintained
a 220,000 seat multicast video network)

Cool. I did a 3 seat multicast video network, and honestly am largely ignorant of multicast over the Internet (on my list!) but do listen to people discuss it. :P

Jack