nanog mailing list archives

Re: The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:13:34 -0600

On 12/2/2010 2:38 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
On 12/2/10 12:28 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
You are assuming the absence of any of the following optimizations:

1.      Multicast

Multicast is great for simulating old school broadcasting, but I don't
see how it can apply to Netflix/Amazon style demand streaming where
everyone can potentially watch a different stream at different points in
time with different bitrates.

This isn't a take it or leave it deal. To start out and branch out, most streaming is VOD, which even within a cable network eats up huge amounts of bandwidth. In the end, it's expected that there will be a mix of multicast and VOD.

Watch the game live multicast. Missed the game? Watch it on demand. As things progress, we'll probably see more edge content delivery systems (like Akamai) to cache/store huge amounts of video for the local populace. It won't be every movie, but it will be the ones which have a high repeat rate to ease traffic off critical infrastructure, saving everyone money, making everyone happy.

What would be really awesome (unless I've missed it) is Internet access to the emergency broadcast system and local weather services; all easily handled with multicast.

Jack