nanog mailing list archives

Re: end-user ipv6 deployment and concerns about privacy

From: Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes () mailcolloid de>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 01:35:50 +0200

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
Web portals work fine, and honestly, it's not like you need to switch
subnets, either. PPPoE/A implementations work great, as they are already
designed to utilize radius backends to quickly alter static/dynamic on a
session. For bridging setups, you have a variety of implementations and it
becomes messier. Cisco, while maintaining RBE did away with the concept of
proxy-nd, and didn't provide a mechanism for dynamically allocating the
prefixes to the unnumbered interface. If you use dslam level controls,
you'll most likely being using DHCPv6 TA addressing with PD on top of it,
which works well. Most of which can support quick static/dynamic
capabilities as it does with v4.

Thanks. I will have a deeper look in the standards. This sounds like a
viable solution to me. Albeit, I wonder if there is a drive for the
big ISPs to implement such features.