nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lightly used IP addresses

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:51:27 +0000

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 08:40:28AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

On Aug 13, 2010, at 9:33 PM, Franck Martin wrote:

Funny!

On one hand people talk about ARIN providing IP allocation at nearly zero cost and on the other hand talking that
ARIN goes after companies that use their allocation for abuse (which has a non trivial cost and potential expensive
lawsuits)...

Do you know what you want?

Let's clarify the definition of abuse in this context. We are not talking about people who use their IPs to abuse the
network. We are talking about resource recipients who use their allocations or assignments in contravention to the
policies under which they received them (and thus contrary to the RSA which they signed when they received them).

Owen

        In the formal ARIN context, there is a distiction between abuse and fraud.

        abuse::  https://www.arin.net/abuse.html

        fraud::  https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html

        It would be helpful in clarifing the discussion if folks used the proper
        terminology.

--bill