nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carrier class email security recommendation

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:21:45 -0400

On 4/12/2010 10:22 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
The man did say "carrier class" .. not "small webhost for four
families and dog".   You're talking multiple mailservers + filtering
gateways / appliances etc, clustered .. rather tough to do that with
one pizzabox 1U running a linux that's not updated in years and
configured with webmin.

I build basically the same mail-system where is collapsed into a single box or spread out across a cluster.

sendmail + clamav milter + milter graylist -> procmail -> spamd -> maildir delivery -> dovecot imap.

When you need to scale the front end you deploy a load balancer and fire up more smtp boxes...

When you need to scale the filestore you move it to nfs and divide and conquer.

When you need to scale imap you shift it in front of the load balancer and deploy more boxes.

For load balancer we used LVS back in the day.

can replace sendmail with postfix or exim, it's mostly a place to hang the various on-connect filter regimes.

And have you used / deployed any of those devices to claim they don't
support NTP?  Or whether that's a bigger constraint than an
underpowered linux box? :)