nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carrier class email security recommendation

From: John Kristoff <jtk () cymru com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:24:19 -0500

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:09:12 -0700
todd glassey <tglassey () earthlink net> wrote:

Alex there are many email systems out there - but make sure that
whatever you buy can support NTPv4 and not SNTP or unauthenticated NTP
since this is how the GW is going to be able to put time-marks on
receipts which must have legal authority.

Hi Todd,

I think this is the first I've heard that only authenticated NTP (and
maybe even NTPv4?) is sufficient for legal authority.  Can you say a
bit more about this?  Perhaps, what sorts of issues you've run into or
seen when this is not implemented?

So that means any appliance system provider must have at least NTPv4
tested with both Autokey and symmetric-key and the new interface
specific ACL's in the 4.2.6 versions of NTP. Further the issues of the
ECC/Parity memory become important here because time is moved over UDP
and is subject to single-bit errors all over the place.

Authentication support for SNTP does exist in the protocol and I've
seen documentation where some gear supports it, though I suspect its
very rarely used in practice.

And 4.2.6p1 was released 3 days ago and 4.2.6 in December.  Might be
a tall order if you want it now.  :-)

I haven't work out the math, but I would have thought the UDP checksum,
coupled with a rigorous implementation (e.g. validates the originate and
transmit timestamps) and the various robustness mechanisms built into
the protocol should limit the effect of single-bit errors significantly.
I'd be interested in hearing or reading about experience that says
otherwise.

Nevertheless there are no doubt incorrect clocks all over the place.
As a simple example, for the open NTP servers we know about, here is
the top five most popular stratums by percent:

  stratum    %
        3   43
        4   18
        2   16
       16   14
        5    5

The overall accuracy of all those stratum 16 clocks is likely going
to be poor.

John