nanog mailing list archives

Re: Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:37:50 -0500

On 4/23/2010 02:57, Steve Bertrand wrote:
On 2010.04.23 03:39, Larry Sheldon wrote:
On 4/23/2010 02:35, Larry Sheldon wrote:

From my PC at home (Cox in Omaha) I can't even get a nameserver that
knows the site.

I should point out that I am really stupid about v6--I don't know if I
should be able to find a nameserver or not.

Has nothing to do about being stupid... let's rephrase your statement
and put a positive spin on it as such:

"I've heard about IPv6, but don't know very much about it. I think that
I should know more, but am a bit confused as to where to begin. What do
I do first?".

You are too kind.  Since I no longer administer a network, I've gotten
lazy about keeping up with developments.

And that is stupid.

Then I'd say:

"As a start, go to http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Main_Page . If that
doesn't get you going, then let the rest of the community start posting
the resources that they know about, ranging from beginner up to the
advanced.".

Good and useful advice.

But the message I meant to convey at 0300 in a rainy morning when I
couldn't sleep was "I don't know if a Windows XP (SP3, current patches)
on a Cox Cable connection _should_ be able to connect, but my machine
reported that it couldn't even *find* a name-server for the site."

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca