nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redundant Data Center Architectures

From: Charles Wyble <charles () thewybles com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:42:26 -0700

On Oct 28, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:

On Oct 28, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Stefan Fouant wrote:

I'm wondering what are the growing trends in connecting Data Centers for redundancy in DR/COOP environments.

'DR' is an obsolete 40-year-old mainframe concept; it never works, as funding/testing/scaling of the 'backup' systems is never adequate and/or allowed.

Very true.

Layer-2 between sites is evil, as well.

Indeed. Now VmWare actually supports layer3 for vsphere, maybe we will start to see it go away. :)

Layer-3-independence and active/active/etc. is where it's at in terms of high availability in the 21st Century. GSLB, et. al.

Yep.

That way all your environments get adequate(ish) funding. Vs management saying "oh it's just backup/dr, we will fund it next year".