nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redundant Data Center Architectures

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 00:48:00 +0700

On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:44 AM, Brandon Galbraith wrote:

Somewhere on video.google.com is a Google I/O talk explaining the hell that is active/active redundancy and how hard it is to achieve at layers 4-7.

Depends upon the type of apps, amount of required concurrency, etc.

It's easy on the front-end (which is where most of the drama tends to take place, anyways); it's the middle and back-end tiers which require some work, but it certainly can be and is accomplished daily, for both simple and more complex systems.

The smart money makes use of various existing *aaS platforms to accomplish this without having to re-invent the wheel every time.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

Sorry, sometimes I mistake your existential crises for technical
insights.

                        -- xkcd #625