nanog mailing list archives

Re: dealing with bogon spam ?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:14:07 -0400

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:57:17 PDT, Leslie said:
We're seeing a decent chunk of spam coming from an unallocated block of
address space.

Fear not, this will end when we run out of IPv4 space not too many months
down the road :)

I admit to remaining confused as to why we still keep seeing providers who fail
to do basic due-diligence like BCP38 filtering of packets, or asking a new BGP
peer what they expect to announce and then filter based on that. I mean, come
on guys - sure they may be 6 cents a meg cheaper, but do you really want to buy
connectivity from a provider that can't run their network in a proper fashion?

Don't answer that. ;)