nanog mailing list archives

Re: Re: dealing with bogon spam ?

From: Michiel Klaver <michiel () klaver it>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:24:59 +0100

Justin Shore wrote:
Michiel Klaver wrote:
I would suggest to report that netblock to SpamHaus to have it included at their DROP list, and also use that DROP list as extra filter in addition to your bogon filter setup at your border routers.

The SpamHaus DROP (Don't Route Or Peer) list was specially designed for this kind of abuse of stolen 'hijacked' netblocks and netblocks controlled entirely by professional spammers.

As a brief off-shoot of the original topic, has anyone scripted the use of Spamhaus's DROP list in a RTBH, ACLs, null-routes, etc? I'm not asking if people think it's safe; that's up to the network wanting to deploy it. I'm wondering if anyone has any scripts for pulling down the DROP list, parsing it into whatever you need (static routes on a RTBH trigger router or ACLs on a border router and then deployed the config change(s). I don't want to reinvent the wheel is someone else has already done this.

Thanks
  Justin

SpamHaus already provides a link to a nice script for Cisco gear at their FAQ page: http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.lasso?section=DROP%20FAQ

And this shell command shoud give you a Juniper style prefix-list to include at your filter terms:

wget -q -O - http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop.lasso | sed -e "s/;.*//" -e '/^[0-9]/ !d' -e "s/^/set policy-options prefix-list drop-lasso /"

Hope it's helpfull!

With kind regards,

Michiel Klaver