nanog mailing list archives

Re: Minimum IPv6 size

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 16:49:22 -0700

From: Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda () icann org>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 04:32:44 -0700

On 03/10/2009 8:19, "Matthew Petach" <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:

[...]

So, if I need to break up my /32 into 4 /34s to cover different geographical
regions, I should instead renumber into a new range set aside for /34s
and give back the /32?  Sure seems like a lot of extra overhead.
Perhaps we should give everyone an allocation out of each filter
range, so that they can simply number from the appropriately-classed
range; when you apply for space, you'd get a /32, a /33, a /34, a /35,
a /36, etc. all from the appropriate, statically defined ranges.

I think ARIN proposal 2009-5
(https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2009_5.html) is designed to cope with
the situation you describe. I understand that it's on the agenda for the
meeting in Dearborn.

I don't think so. I believe the statement is not in regard to separate,
discrete networks bu to a network with a national footprint which must
deaggregate to do traffic engineering by region. Item 2 clearly makes
2009-5 non-applicable to this case.

This issue will be discussed in a Mark Kosters moderated panel at NANOG
in Dearborn. Hey, why not attend both meetings?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)