nanog mailing list archives

Re: Minimum IPv6 size

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 20:19:24 -0700

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Brandon Butterworth <brandon () rd bbc co uk>wrote:

Is there some central repository for information on this? We usually
seem to find out about such changes out of the ARIN region a bit after
the fact.

Have we not learnt from v4?

If there are to be filters then they should be defined once and never
changed as people will fail to update

Yay!  We can return to classful routing again.  That sure worked out well
for us the first time around.  ^_^;

If a different allocation requirement arises then start a new prefix
(v6 is big enough to handle this) and define its filter once. Do not
allocate it from an existing range and expect people to adjust their
filters.

So, if I need to break up my /32 into 4 /34s to cover different geographical
regions, I should instead renumber into a new range set aside for /34s
and give back the /32?  Sure seems like a lot of extra overhead.
Perhaps we should give everyone an allocation out of each filter
range, so that they can simply number from the appropriately-classed
range; when you apply for space, you'd get a /32, a /33, a /34, a /35,
a /36, etc. all from the appropriate, statically defined ranges.

*removes tongue from cheek*

brandon

Matt