nanog mailing list archives

Re: Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

From: Bryan Campbell <bbc () misn com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:04:14 -0500

No, I did not read the article . . . But,  . . .

Yes, DSL speed varies by season . . . or rather, temperature.

But, this is really only the case for _aerial_copper_plant. Buried plant is nearly the same temperature year round.

Copper pair resistance changes with temperature. And, therefore, the link speed of DSL will change depending upon the time of the year (temperature) and geographic location.

If there is a difference of but a few degrees of temperature year round, then no there will be no difference. But, if you live in the desert southwest or even the mid-west where the temperatures can be 70-120 degrees different between seasons or even 40-70 degrees different between night and day . . . you are going to have pronounced differences in link speed.

Worst cast, your link speed might vary 10-20%. The longer the cable length from the central office, the more the variance will be. But, this is something that must be measured on a case by case basis. And, since much of the aerial plant has been replaced with buried plant, this really isn't much of a problem anymore.

BBC

Joe Greco wrote:
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/17-10/ts_burningquestion

It used to be that we would notice this, except that it had everything to
do with temperature *and* dampness.  In the '90's, it was still quite
common for a lot of older outside plant to be really only "voice grade"
and it wasn't unusual for copper to run all the way back to the CO,
through a variety of taps and splice points.  Even though Ma Bell would
typically do a careful job handling their copper, the sheer number of
potential points of failure meant that it wasn't unusual for water to
infiltrate and penetrate.  If I recall correctly, the worst was usually
a long, hard cold rain (hey we're in Wisconsin) after which people who
had been getting solidly high speed modem connects would see a somewhat
slower speed.

... JG