nanog mailing list archives

Re: Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

From: Fred Baker <fred () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:27:07 -0700

On Oct 9, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Dragos Ruiu wrote:

Well, since it's been documented that internet speed / usage varies with the weather (it gets faster when it's sunny, slower when it rains) I'm sure some
seasonal correlation could be found.

Could you point to the documentation?

I having trouble with language that sounds like one concept and I suspect is in fact another. Take as one example the basic digital signaling hierarchy. The specifications call for a certain rate plus or minus some number of parts per million. If they are within tolerance, the amount that they would speed up or slow down is measured in a pretty small number of bits per second. So I don't think the speed of the links is materially changing. If on the other hand we are discussing the volume of traffic using that available capacity, it is absolutely clear that there are diurnal, weekly, and seasonal variations as well as growth in time.

Are we talking about bit rate, which one might expect to be modified by environmental characteristics and is in fact very tightly controlled to prevent that, or traffic volume?