nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP customer assignments

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:25:44 -0500

On 05/10/09 23:23 -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:
You underestimate the power of the marketing department and the bean counters. I assure you, residential ISPs are looking for schemes to give out as little address space as possible.

That has not been my (limited) experience. If you are aware of any ISPs
which are not handing out a reasonable address space to customers, please
call them out.

The current revision of IPv6 introduces a way to nail down the boundary
between network and host.  This is fantastic, from an implementation
point of view.  It simplifies the design of silicon for forwarding
engines, etc.

And it's 150% Wrong Thinking(tm). IPv6 is classless - PERIOD. The instant some idiot wires /64 into silicon, we're right back to not being able to use x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255. Addresses are 128-bits; you cannot make any assumptions about what people may or may not be doing with those bits. If I don't use SLAAC, then I'm not bound by it's lame rules.

You don't do that.  Or at least, you shouldn't do that.  :-)  We have a
fairly reliable DNS system these days...

The assumption that IPv6 addresses are harder has not been my
experience. A server address of 2610:b8:5::1 is just as easy
for me to remember as 67.217.144.1. Granted, auto configured
addresses are much harder to remember.

And where did DNS get the name/number assignments? In my case, it's either been typed in by ME or automatically updated by DHCP.

Anything I put in DNS is a server/router, and gets a static address, just
like with IPv4.

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband