nanog mailing list archives

RE: PPPoE vs. Bridged ADSL

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:18:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Vince Mammoliti wrote:
This current draft

DHCP Authentication

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-06.txt

That's what makes protocol wars so much fun. With enough options, almost any protocol can do almost anything.

As you know, I did my best to kill PPPOx at an ISP and in the IPTV architecture several vendors were selling at the time. I still think that sometimes DHCP is the answer, and other times PPPOx is the answer, but you can usually make either work if necessary. And even though I chose DHCP, the vendor needed to fix several things. I haven't kept track if all of them were really fixed.